What is the Coordination Unit for Threat Assessment?
The Coordination Unit for Threat Assessment, or CUTA, has been operational since 1 December 2006 (rue de la Loi, 22 à 1000 Brussels). This unit, which replaces the Mixed Anti-Terrorism Group (AtG), draws up specific or strategic evaluations of terrorist and extremist threats in and to Belgium.
It largely proceeds on the basis of intelligence obtained from the supporting services, namely :
- State Security
- The General Intelligence and Security Service
- The federal and local police
- The Department of Customs and Excise of the FPS Finance
- The Department of Federal Immigration of the FPS Interior
- The FPS Mobility and Transport
- The FPS Foreign Affairs, Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation
The threat assessments are intended for the various political, administrative and judicial authorities that are invested with some responsibility for security. The aforementioned authorities ultimately have to take appropriate measures to ward off any threats detected. The unit is under the joint authority of the Ministers of the Interior and Justice.